We have been rowing A Pair of Red Clogs for the past two weeks and it has been hard to keep everything to one post. It has been a fun row and would really like to keep going. :)
The best part of this row was constantly comparing Japan to China to America. Any time we begin a new book in another part of the world, we go to the globe. We played spin the globe and everyone took a turn finding Japan. Then we went to the wall map to trace a trip to Japan. It was fun to discuss travel with the little kids~
One of our favorite parts of the story was a weather telling game played with clogs. We played with our slippers, recorded our data, and discussed our results~
When I was a little girl, my grandparents visited Japan and brought back all kinds of treasures. One of the most beautiful was this Japanese kimono~
The girls loved trying it on and SJ taught Evie how to tie the obi~
Good job Evie!!! Love all the smiles~
I had the boys pull out all the long blocks and I added ribbon to them so we could pretend wearing wooden clogs~
I was surprised how well them were able to walk in them so we found a traditional dance video and we tried dancing in them~
The boys pretended they were playing big Japanese Taiko drums~
I had a few Japan books so we read them on alternate days. We read Yoko's Paper Cranes and painted our own beautiful origami paper~
We did our painting right after breakfast so it could be drying while we read the story. We also brewed some tea since the grandmother in the story drank tea~
Tea and stories go so well together. We watched a tutorial for folding our own paper cranes and it was way harder than it looked. I pretty much folded 6 of them~ :)
Everyone was proud of their diligence once they were hung in the sunroom~
Another alternate book was I Live in Tokyo. The carp kites caught our eye and we had to make them. I pulled a fish pattern and we traced onto thick white paper. We cut out two and painted both outside in the warm weather~
SO happy to be back outside schooling. All the fish needed drying time so~We splurged on happy meals and had a picnic~
We stuffed our fish and stapled a ribbon then it was time to try them out~
Can't imagine a more wonderful childhood~
Running around in the front yard free as the wind!!!


















So sweet glad you posted. Can't wait to row that book. We rowed Daniels Duck this past week. Since it was a winter/spring book. Started our journals too 😉
ReplyDelete