Thursday, July 11, 2013

A BRAVE little girl~

When SJ became our daughter in August of 2010, she came to us with a TOF heart defect {which we knew about} and lots of needed dental work {which we didn't know about}. We knew she would need heart surgery pretty soon but had no idea that on the third day home she would have a TET spell and we would be off to Egleston for open heart. 

Given that turn of events it would be a while before the dental work could be taken care of but finally after about 6 months we met with specialist at CHOA and scheduled extensive dental surgery: 7 crowns and a root canal all done under anesthesia. The thought being we would save the teeth as long as possible and face future issues as they came.

Over the last 3 years, she has had now four of the crowned teeth pulled due to abscesses. Yesterday when we went to the dentist for routine cleaning they found her latest abscess and scheduled the extraction for two weeks away but during the day and night, she cried and cried {anxiety over the pending procedure}.
 I thought it was mostly about the shots and pain but when we boiled it all down it was about me having to leave her in the room. There was no way we were going to worry over this for two weeks so when I called Dr. Lugus this morning they agreed to bring her in and get it over with!!! Thankful!

For some reason our kids are scared of the tooth fairy so Hermie, our Elf on the Shelf has always come when we pulled a tooth. Today I decided it might be good if he traveled with us so low and behold, he was in my purse when we arrived at the dentist. SJ was SO happy to see him and he really eased her mind walking in.

It didn't take long for the ease to wear away and reality set in~
I was able to stay with her the entire time except for the moment they actually pulled the tooth. 
I think they thought I might pass out. :) All in all she did awesome!!! 
Nurse showing her the tooth.
 We didn't waste a minute getting out of there and heading to Toys R Us for a surprise. On the way she didn't know her bloody drool was running down her neck (numb face) drenching her white shirt. I thought two minutes about buying her a clean one but decided that was a waste so we rolled it under and continued our mission~

I am not kidding that she walked every! single! aisle! of the store looking at every! single! thing! and after one hour we found the perfect thing in the way back... a Peppa Pig house and car. To be honest, I would have walked around with her three hours after what she had just been through!
{Funny side note: we have always thought SJ sounded like Peppa with her British accent and certain words SJ pronounces:}
We made it home fine and she has had a great evening playing with her sibs and new toys. {didn't I just say earlier this week we didn't need any more toys! ha}

Tonight as she went down for the night I was talking to her about the day. I told her what a BRAVE little girl she was and ALL she had to think about tonight was what she would PLAY tomorrow {she lit up like a light bulb}... NO boo boos and no traveling!
Excited about Free Friday!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Birthdays, Stitches, and a Wedding~

Rosie and Leighton celebrated their birthdays four days apart, and we had a ball at Leighton's Magical Unicorn Waterslide 4 YO party~ It...