Thursday, May 2, 2013

Word Work {the fun way}~

The day began with two more desks being added to our school room (thanks Gwen!) and guess who claimed them?~
 The boys had turns too but weren't as impressed as the girls. :)

Now to the Word Work...
My sil, Amy made her kids a magnetic area using a huge oil pan from Walmart so Scott bought us one for our school room. He was able to hang it on the back of a shelf and the kids were thrilled to begin work on it today. SJ was first... she had three new words in her guided reading book so we took them to our 'Smart Board'!~
 I wrote the word for her to read, she wrote the words next, and then built them with mag letters... one hand to write and one to erase!

Next it was EK's turn. We haven't spent much time this year formally teaching/learning spelling other than editing in writing or work in her Explode the Code books but today I started Spelling Workout~
  Because the book cost about $15 and I will eventually use with SJ too, I just put a page protector over the pages she worked on so she could use a dry erase marker to work. She cleaned after we completed each page. I also do this with our math pages as well... saves money from buying more books and making copies. The lesson today had a word list so I sent EK to the Smart Board for a little pop quiz. I called the words and she wrote them on the board~
Then I had her write rhyming words beside each one. She made all the words with mag letters and cleaned once done. COOL that we can write on the board with dry erase markers and it comes off super easy!

All this time while working with the girls, the boys were working away with their ABC and numeral work~
   {Evie... having fun!}

After EK, it was time for the boys to get their Word Work on and what would be their favorite words??? Their names~
 They loved working on the board and did awesome!
I'm pretty sure this Smart Board is going to get a great workout... thank you Amy for the great idea!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Birthdays, Stitches, and a Wedding~

Rosie and Leighton celebrated their birthdays four days apart, and we had a ball at Leighton's Magical Unicorn Waterslide 4 YO party~ It...