Friday, July 3, 2020

Summering and Schooling~

I think the first photo was Saturday morning when I looked down to find Calla under the table with Molly. Sometimes you just need to lie on the floor and talk to your puppy! 
I also bought the kids some clay to try their hand at pottery or beads but you should have seen the creations they made... not Native American related at all! :) 

Saturday evenings all the kids gather at the grill with their dad to hear a Brownie Bear story~

Sunday was a complete nature morning because Ella found a very big red-eared turtle~

And an Indigo snake~

Such a wonderful afternoon having the big girls here~


Schooling for the Week~

We learned more about Native Americans with this new Homes book and read aloud The Birchbark House~


We learned The Seminoles lived in Chickees and sketched them in our nature journals~

The clay creations were finally dry enough to paint~

Our week was FULL of enrichment this week. 
Read Aloud Revival hosted an author event where we met the author and Caldecott illustrator Sophie Blackall, so I made delicious treats and we watched it in the family room~

Everyone was SO excited the blueberries were ripe so we picked and picked until we had a bowl full~

Pretty sure they ate as many as they picked~

Wednesday was another enrichment day with chalk pastels paired with this wonderful book~

Nana taught us all about Betsy Ross~

One afternoon Calla asked if she could sketch outside and I snapped this beautiful photo which I later painted~

We also learned about the Cheyenne Tribe and copied beautiful blessings then watercolored them~


Today my friend Amber  
{who is my #1 homeschool idea BFF which I've never met in public but adore!}
Helped me in choosing an idea for Friday Freewrite!

I had the kids imagine they were joining a Native American tribe and I printed photos of the ones we have studied. They chose their favorite, I divided them into teams and they worked to make a list of 20 things they would take with them~


Seriously! I have not heard them laugh and enjoy writing this much in forever!!! And then when they read their list, more laughing and lots of discussions!!!~

Afterward we did our Latin lesson, cleaned the house, and watched a movie~

Getting ready for a wonderful weekend celebrating our oldest love who was born on the 4th of July while her daddy was running the Peachtree Road Race.  {He made it just in time!!!} 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Birthdays, Stitches, and a Wedding~

Rosie and Leighton celebrated their birthdays four days apart, and we had a ball at Leighton's Magical Unicorn Waterslide 4 YO party~ It...