Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Works for Us Wednesday~ {Menu Planning and Meals}

Menu planning and grocery shopping has never been my strong point SO
the fact that I am even talking about this is major...
kind of makes helps me stay on track.
Savannah has certainly help motivate me to plan and shop accordingly!
Each weekend I sit down with two pieces of paper
to make a menu and grocery list~
{Scott shops at Cosco about twice a month for things we use in bulk}

It's sure not rocket science but makes a world of difference when you are feeding anywhere
between 8-15+ people each week.
{I make my grocery list in the order of the store I shop}

As I plan my menu, I pretty much make the exact same things each week for breakfast and lunch...
only having to figure out my dinner menus.
I also cross through the meal once it is done circling ones we didn't eat
and saved for next week!!!

The biggest tip I can give for lunches and snacks~
Keep your fruit basket full!

The second tip is keep kitchen organized and tidy~
One of the biggest things while prepping/cooking is to put ingredients
away as you finish with them and WASH the dishes!
{Sure makes for a faster clean up when the meal is finished}

I am taking the slack way to share just a few of my favorite recipes.
Basically just snapped  photos from my recipe book~
 This Cranapple Casserole is the FAV thing made on holidays at our house!!!

Spicy Tomato Soup~
1 maranara sauce
1 carton chicken broth
1 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
~Bring to a boil
* Serve with bread or make a pot of pasta and add some to soup.
Perfect and easy for a cold winter evening.

Cobbler~
1 c milk
3/4 c SR flour
1/2 c sugar
1 stick of butter
~Mix well and sit to side
~Pour can of fresh fruit or can of fruit pie filling to baking dish
~Add crust mixture pouring over fruit
~Bake @375 for 45 min.
*Cool and serve with ice cream!

My family does NOT like crockpot food all that much
and I only use it for making soups, sauces, and occasionally a roast.
The only other thing I love to make it is~

Salsa Chicken~
6-8 chicken breasts (we buy frozen ones in bulk at Cosco)
1 jar of med salsa 
1 taco packet
*Serve as chicken fajitas and NEXT day...
Tortilla Soup!

We sit down as a family for dinner every night and I generally cook from scratch.
I do have at least one picky child and if the menu doesn't work for her,
there is cereal or mac and cheese cup.
Our kitchen is pretty much the heart of our home
and many hours are spent here nurturing, bonding, and filling our bellies.
So even though meals are not my favorite activity,
I do realize how important it is for family to gather
and what better place than around the table!

“Laughter is brightest in the place where the food is.” 
– Irish proverb

Please share favorite ideas about your planning, shopping, meals, and recipes.
We would LOVE to hear what Works for You!!!

Next Week~ Organizing and Decluttering



5 comments:

  1. Planning the menus is such a chore for me. I do not enjoy it at all! We shop at Aldi's each week after church. I've found that I can save a lot by shopping there. I'm amazed that most of Avery's friends do not sit down as a family and eat each night like we do. Even if I struggle (menu planning and those awful hours between afterschool and dinner) I'm glad that we do sit together at the table each night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your recipes! Happy Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, I wish I could read those recipes! Even put my glasses on! ;0) I make a menu plan for each week too, but also keep the breakfasts and lunches the same each week (for the most part). For Sunday lunch we always cook twice the amount on Saturday night and eat leftovers for Sunday lunch. That is such a blessing! Our oldest girls used to shop for us each week, but now that our oldest is married, my hubby and I do the shopping each week. We wait till the littles are in bed on a Friday night, and go then. It is a big job! I do have our grocery list on Microsoft Word, and we just print it out each week and mark what we are in need of. It is set up in the order of the store as well. We do a big Costco run too - but try to buy enough for three months at a time since it is so far away. Love those chicken breasts from Costco!!
    Neat and tidy kitchen is key, washing dishes as you go is key, and our kitchen is the heartbeat of our home too. We live with celiac and food allergies.....which makes us eat from home 100% of the time.....but I love having everyone and anyone around the dinner table, and love preparing meals and being in the kitchen! So thankful for that with the challenges we have!
    Love these posts! Thanks for sharing!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it seems to be the norm...so hard for all of us even though we love our kitchen & family gathered around. For Breakfast we like Monday Muffins, Tuesday Toast & Egg or EggMcMuffins, Wed Waffles, Thur Oatmeal with chopped apples, craisins & pecans with brown sugar & cinn, Friday Pancakes, Sat Casserole, Sun Free Choice //Dinner Monday Pasta with GB & Salad, Tuesday Taco, Wednesday & Thursday Home cookin, Friday Pizza, Sat/Sun Soup, Salad, Bread or Roast Beef or Roasted Chicken///Lunch is my BIG struggle & the $$$ Holly keeps reminding us we have 4 more chairs around our dining table, but my grocery budget seems to be out the roof as it is:-) Happy Thanksgiving Friend!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to try a few of these recipes! Always good to try new things!

    ReplyDelete