Monday, September 16, 2013

Lentil (An Introduction}~

Our FIAR row this week is Lentil about a little boy that really wants to sing but learns to play the harmonica instead.

At first glance of the book you might think it would be the most uninteresting book for young children
{Completely black and white}
 but oh to the contrary!
It is rich with so much vocabulary and life experiences I can see it being a two week row for our family!

Today I began with the Mystery Box and as I explained yesterday,

I began giving them one clue and allowed them to ask questions... then another clue and more questions until EK and SJ both had a guess.
I gave all the clues we had gathered and counted to 3 then both girls shouted what the mystery was... Harmonicas for everyone. 
We immediately tore them open and experimented with making sound. 
PC wanted to hum into it but with a little practice they were wearing themselves out.

I introduced our book for the day {Lentil} and we took a picture walk noticing many things in the illustrations.
We checked the copyright and found out it is one year older than Memommy... published in 1940. :)

Next we began reading with interactive instructions to blow a note when they heard the words Lentil or harmonica... really worked on those listening skills.
When we came to a page with Lentil playing his harmonica in the bathtub, I jumped up and began marching/singing~
"We're going on a field trip, a field trip, a field trip,
We're going on a field trip to Mom and Dad's bathtub."

Hilarious giggles then all were nestled in the tub to discover how much better we sounded in that acoustic tub.
We marched back to school and finished the story.
Tons of ideas are bouncing around after this first reading and can't wait to do more tomorrow!


Today was a BIG day for Evie... she was able to say the letters in her name, traced all of them, and colored in her shapes... the FIRST time she ever finished her page~
I am also finding it is better to have one engaging activity for her each day instead of a few to choose from. Why? She pulls them all out to make a mess but doesn't do the activities.
One day while in Walmart I grabbed a few paint palettes and stashed them away for a bright idea day... today was that day.
I had her cut on the white separating line then glue in her journal.
We worked on recognizing the colors too.
She worked on 3 different colors... good interest with this activity!

A great Introduction Day!!!

 

3 comments:

  1. I love what you share about FIAR I ended up ordering one of their books to add some extra fun to our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stealing!

    Love classic lit. Love the mystery box. Love moments in homeschooling when things work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you use a composition book for each of your children for each day? Can you tell me what kind of things you have your older children do in it? My 7 year old 2nd grader is a struggling reader and probably has a bit of dysgraphia; I would love to introduce a more fun way to do some basic skills review.

    ReplyDelete

Birthdays, Stitches, and a Wedding~

Rosie and Leighton celebrated their birthdays four days apart, and we had a ball at Leighton's Magical Unicorn Waterslide 4 YO party~ It...