Monday, December 17, 2012

Writing Strategy~

As fine motor continues to strengthen and SJ/WP practice writing, it is sometimes hard for them to concentrate on all the mechanics of the skill:
pencil grip, formation of letters, upper/lowercase, etc.
I get an email each day from Dr. Jean with lots of early childhood ideas and last week found a super idea to help with formation of letters. For

A  B  C  D  E  F  G - G?
Hang your bottoms down, down.
Hang your bottoms down.
Some letters stand tall.
Some sit on the ground.
But hang those bottoms down, down!
 
For SJ this was huge but not because of this song.
 I had taught her the lines as sky, clouds, and ground. If she writes a t, I say it touches the sky. If she writes an a, I say it sits on the ground and touches the clouds. If she writes a y, I say hang the bottom down. Saying this one thing was SO funny to her, it completely changed her writing. :)

Sometimes it just takes the smallest of ideas to make the lightbulb come on.
Right now I am just calling attention to my letters written and asking her if they are high, ground, or hang bottoms letters. She loves this game and also starting to pay attention to some of her formations as well.
Good job SJ! 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Birthdays, Stitches, and a Wedding~

Rosie and Leighton celebrated their birthdays four days apart, and we had a ball at Leighton's Magical Unicorn Waterslide 4 YO party~ It...