Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

100 Years~

My grandmother Martin {MaMa Martin} would have been 100 years old today.
She was born on January 6, 1914.
I have so many childhood memories that revolve around her.

I thought she was the greatest person in the world when I was little and still do.
She kept me every single day before I started school AND on the first day of school, 
I told the bus driver I was supposed to get off at her house and not home. {and he believed me!}
It about scared my mom to death.
 
My grandfather died at the young age of 60 and that left many years she would spend as a widow.
When I think about that now, it makes me so sad for her!
I didn't have a clue then...
she filled her life with her family, especially her grandchildren.

I know without a doubt we ALL thought we were her favorite!
I KNOW I was!!! :)
She called me Shenoki and sang crazy funny songs to us.

I spent the night with her every Friday night.
She always took me to the store and bought me every single thing I wanted to eat!
Sometimes I would even stay Saturday night too and go to church with her on Sunday... 
sat on the side with all the old ladies.
She let me write her check for her tithe and put in the envelope.

I wish I had been into photography back then.
I would LOVE photos of all the things we did together.

She lived on the dairy farm my daddy and brother still run.
Men were in and out of her house all day long.
She cooked for many of them and always had time to sit and talk even when she really didn't have time.

She taught me to crochet and we made beautiful afghans together.
Shelling butter beans and stinging beans were NOT work at her house because she let me watch her 'stories' with her:
1-4pm
Days of our Lives
Another World
General Hospital!
Sometimes I am tempted to watch then again... just to be near her. :) but I DON'T have time!!!

This is a photo that has been in my kitchen as long as I can remember~
{She and my Aunt Susie}
I have many of her recipes written in her handwriting.
I remember her sweet potato pies were my all time favorite!
She would make me biscuits, stir butter and molasses, and spread on them for a bedtime snack!
I still cook with iron skillets just like she always used.

I could go on and on but I won't.
She was one of the sweetest and most humble people I will ever know.
I want to be more and more like her everyday!!!
I LOVE, miss, and Adore you MaMa!!!

Helen Margaret Adams Martin
{1914~1998}

100 Years Today!
 

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother. I am sure she is smiling with you as you remember her today.
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so amazing! Happy Birthday to your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandmothers are awesome. My grandmother, Honey, always watched her stories too...and we shelled butter beans and peas too. My kids are missing out on all that good farm/chores that a lot of our generation experienced.

    ReplyDelete