Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My 2013 Word... Time~

Last year I chose Grace as my word and I was really challenged with it... Lots of times I was happy to offer grace and other times not so much. Honestly I thought if I chose it, God would offer me opportunities to 'grow' and that scared me. 

As the year passed, it became very clear grace wasn't so much about me giving it as it was me receiving it. After all Grace is God's Riches At Christ's Expense... me receiving gifts that I didn't deserve just because Jesus loves me. That's A LOT to take in. 
2 Cor 9:8 (NIV) 
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
As I reflect over 2012, God has showered me with MUCH Grace even when I didn't deserve it! at! all! Even when I didn't offer it to others. Even when I withheld it on purpose in my selfishness. I still have much to learn about Grace and pray God continues to give it to me in the midst.
I had been thinking and praying about my word and happened upon a post from Inspired to Action where she shared her goal for last year~ “Do as little as possible, as well as possible.” That got me thinking... what do I do that really isn't amounting to much for eternity. What really isn't necessary? Lots! 
 This past weekend I transferred and organized all my photos/documents to my external so my computer would be clean for the new year.  I found an old email Lynn sent me in 2010 about changes to make in the coming year. I sent it back to her and she was so excited to tell me her word for the year was CHANGE!
She in turn sent back an email I had sent her in 2008 written by Rick Warren, The Time of Your Life. I knew right that minute TIME would be my word. I can not say it any better so I am posting RW's challenge of making our time count!
The Time of Your Life
by Rick Warren
Make the most of every chance you get. These are desperate times! Ephesians 5:16 (MSG)
*** *** *** ***

Why is it that time drags when you want it to pass quickly and flies when you need more of it? It’s not very cooperative!

Time is the great equalizer. We all have the same amount of it. The difference between successful people and average people is this: Achievers manage their time wisely. Rather than wasting time or spending time, they invest time. They make the most out of each moment.

In these difficult days, people are realizing that time is more important than money. Money is a renewable resource - there are always places to get more of it.

But time is a limited resource.

You only have a certain allotment of time in your life. When it's used up ... that’s it! YOUR TIME IS YOUR LIFE.

When you give someone your money, you’ve given them something that you can replace. But when you give someone your time, you've given them a part of your life. This means time management is really “life management.”

The Bible has this to say: “Use your head. Make the most of every chance you get. These are desperate times! Don’t live carelessly, unthinkingly. Make sure you understand what the Master wants” (Ephesians 5:15b-17 MSG).

You could summarize these verses this way:
1. Analyze Your Lifestyle. Be aware of where your time is going.
2. Utilize The Present. Make the most of this moment.
3. Recognize What’s Important. Focus on priorities that last.

A question to consider throughout the day: “How much of what I’m doing right now is going to count ten years from now … 50 years from now … or for eternity?”
You have just enough time to fulfill God’s purpose for your life.

If you can’t get it all done it means:
1. You’re doing things God never intended for you to do, or
2. You’re doing the right thing in the wrong way.

Prayer: “God, help me to manage my time wisely this week.”  

I am so excited to start a new year with Time as my focus.
Our family is going to change to a 'new' normal in just a few days. It is going to take Time for all to settle into routine. Time for God to graft our new chicks into the nest. Time for our new babies to bond and attach; learn what a family means. Time for our 'now' family to accept the 'new' family we have become. I'm even thinking of wearing a watch all the time as a reminder God has given me an allotted amount of Time in this life and I want it to count for Him in every single thing I spend it doing.
 
  As I close God just reminded me of Ecclesiastes 3... the scripture that my blog is actually named after~

A Time for Everything

1 There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:
    a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.
What do workers gain from their toil? 10 I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet[a] no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.  

I've heard it said... Time is Love SO
I guess there is just one thing left to say...
TIME to get started!!!
Happy New Year!!!

What's your word??? 
{3 Days until China}


6 comments:

  1. Love your word this year!!! it's so perfect for you!! My scripture is from Ecclesiastes also!!! Posting about it later (shocking I know!!)

    Enjoy every moment of these last few days before China!!!!

    I'm praying for you!!

    xo ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, I love this!!! I'm thinking time may be my word this year as well.
    And speaking of time, 3 more days!!!! Our family will be praying for you as you go and gather these sweet little souls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, time is love! Happy New Year! 3 more sleeps! I don't know how you are sleeping! I would be just so anxious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great word for you this year as you add 2 new little ones to your life. May you treasure your TIME!! Happy New Year!!! Getting Excited!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon... what a beautiful and inspiring post you have written. Thanks for giving us some food for thought.

    It's funny, one of the things I admire about you the most are your T*I*M*E management skills... juggling six kids, a beautifully maintained home, home schooling, hostess to so many extended family gatherings, family photographer, and daily blogger extraodinaire... wow! You seem to stay calm and organized throughout it all.

    Best wishes on your upcoming trip. I know it is hard for you to leave your flock behind. I will be praying for you and your darling new children. Can't wait to see that first smile from your serious little EC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful word and beautiful post. Wishing you the best of TIMEs as you prepare to travel to your precious one.

    ReplyDelete