Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Intentional~

I think most parents want their children to be loving, joyful, peaceful, gentle, etc.
I recently had a friend ask me how our big girls grew to be such amazing girls because she wanted to raise her girls the same.
Honestly, I have no idea~ well... really hard to put into words almost 23 years of parenting.

It got me thinking. 
What do I share with this friend that would make a difference?

When all is said and done, it all comes down to Christ and His Love for us.
We didn't do it alone~ we were blessed by an amazing church, awesome teacher, good friends, and family support.
Having positive influences in life makes a huge difference. 
We gave and still give them to God every single day.

Just this week, our church has been in revival and our littles have gone to class with these precious people~
{Gina, Sheryl, Brandon, Amy, Preacher Ben, & Donna}
Guess what they have been learning? The Fruit of the Spirit!
Galatians 5:22-23
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. 

Going back to my friend's question, I shared with her a sweet activity I used to do with my school kids: Sparkle Jar!
Each time I caught them doing something 'good' they dropped a sparkle in~ working toward a class privilege.
She might want to try that with her little ones.

Excuse me... I have another round of littles to raise in the likeness of Christ... I think I need do it with my OWN littles too!!!
SO to tie in what they were learning at church, 
I had an idea to make a Fruit of the Spirit Sparkle jar.
{Just an empty plastic container with foam letters for each fruit and flat marbles}
I worked to get it all ready and when EK came home from school, we talked about how it would work.
I explained that we would ALL be catching each other 'showing' a fruit and that person would put a sparkle in the jar. 
When the sparkles reached the line I drew, we would all choose a friend to take to the park for 'fruit picnic' and playtime!

To say they were excited is an understatement!!!
And began catching each other being 'fruity' right away.
I know full well they are focusing on the sparkles/playtime instead of the fruit BUT we are being intentional in looking for and sharing fruit much more than we were before.
It has also encouraged the positive in each other instead of bickering about little things.
In the end, the greatest of these is LOVE and you better believe I am Intentional about that one.

There is WAY more I could write but I will stop at this today.
Please share things you believe have made a great impact on your family~ LOTS of us would love the encouragement!

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8, 13
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  8 Love never fails... And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. 
But the greatest of these is love. 

PS. My bigs grew up singing the songs on THIS CDs and now our littles are singing them too~ and guess what? There is a darling Fruit of Spirit song on them!
{Great way to teach scripture to your children and I learned using it too!}

Blessings and love to all! 

10 comments:

  1. That is such a wonderful idea! I think we'll have to make a sparkle jar here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post and I can't wait to read everyone's ideas! I had a "bad mom" day yesterday. You know, one of those days when your patience runs out. I had just had it. :( This morning while having some quiet time during school testing, I was thinking about how I need to be intentional in those moments of frustration to rely on Him. That I cannot work full time, raise 4 children, and be a wife on my own! Oh no! You hit it right on, we need to give our children to God daily and we also need to give ourselves to Him, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys LOVED those CD's!!! (They were tapes back then!!!!!!!!) I need to order these:)

    One thing that really helps our family stay connected and caring for one another is sharing our our daily "Highs and Lows" at the dinner table. That and Chicken Pattie Night, but that is a post for another day;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE your fruits sparkle jar! Going to pin this post so I can go back and find it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant! Thank you for sharing. For weeks I have been thinking/looking for a visual reminder for my oldest in regards of behavior. This is rewarding the positive and the perfect visual (and I love that it's focused on the fruits!). LOVE It :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea! My mom used to do something like this with me and my older sisters when we were little. We called it a "marble jar", and we got a marble in the jar every time we did something that my mom found to be extra nice/intentional in our behavior. Once it was full, we got to do a fun event like go to a movie or have a night at celebration station. I'm not sure if she's tried this with the second 'set' of kids, but she's always thinking of new ideas to teach valuable qualities. Love this Fruit of the Spirit idea!

    P.S. I love your girls big, pink bows!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops...I was signed it with the wrong google account!

      Delete
  7. Fabulous idea Sharon! I NEED to try this!!!! Thank you for sharing your parenting wisdom!!!

    Hugs,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! Thanks for sharing this...and for replying to my email last week! It is good to see how this Sparkle Jar works. When I taught, I tried my best to learn from other teachers, so I'm trying to do the same thing in mothering. Thanks for being willing to share your ideas!

    ReplyDelete